Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fleeting watch lust

My good ol' Tissot stopped ticking last week and when I dropped it off for a new battery, I started browsing at the other timepieces. Nothing was interesting in Rolex, Cartier, Baume & Mercier, or Longines showcases; however this retailer had some others beautiful watches to fawn over.

They had some pricey Chanel J12's to help crank my interest. I've written before about my love of the J12's and my friend's beautiful purchase. This time I was drawn more to an old (and at 1/4 the Chanel price tag) favourite watchmaker of mine- Tag Heuer. They had a lovely Formula 1 Ladies's steel and ceramic chronograph 41 mm watch. I normally love the racing-endorsed watch collections but most are very masculine with some gaudy race and checkered flag colours. I was surprised to find a nice women's design that's elegant but sporty- I doubt Lewis Hamilton sports any of the diamond and ceramic ones on the Tag H ad campaigns, though! Of course the sales associate was trying to tell me I needed a smaller watch. I told her no way. I tried on this other F1 black on black gorgeous one but goodness, who pays $1900 for a rubber strap? I love big men's watches, especially chronograph and exposed-skeleton watches... but we know in order to afford the makers of the latter variety, that requires an income where we move the decimal place to the right about 3-4 spots. :)

By the time I picked up my watch the next day and the Tissot was ticking again... this fleeting desire went away. This is, until my watch dies again in a couple years! My husband is probably thinking, thank goodness! I do not blame him at all...


Tag Heuer Formula 1 Ladies Timepiece
41 mm steel ceramic chrono with 12 diamonds
Avail at Ł1550 at Ernest Jones (about $2200 CAD)

No comments:

Post a Comment