Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Beauty commercial parody

I often get into this debate with people as it is sometimes assumed that when a woman looks through a magazine, she sees photos and ads of models and celebrities she wants to look like- thereby setting unrealistic expectations for herself to strive to be super skinny, blemish-free, wrinkle -free... and making her feel unworthy and need to buy things to look like "that".

I can't speak for anyone else, but I take offence to this argument because I view magazines for ideas of whats new in fashion, who's making what, how clothes are styled, how street wear is combined, and what story an editorial is trying to convey. I truly appreciate the beauty and glam of the models/actresses but I take them for what they are: mannequins and entertainers. It's their job to look they way they do and the final product we see on paper and digital format is almost always edited and commercially retouched. I hope most women are aware of this fact.

That is why this video written and directed by Jesse Rosten is so funny true! As the creator's caption states: 'This commercial isn't real, neither are society's standards of beauty."  



No comments:

Post a Comment