Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pared down make up essentials

With the launch of Marc Jacobs Beauty line at Sephora last week, I realised that I haven't covered anything in make up or beauty in over 3 years... back during those Facebook SOAF Digest notes days!

 I took a peek at the Marc Jacobs Beauty products and so far a vast majority of reviews from customers are rating least 4 out of 5 stars. Sounds promising, but it has only been a week. I also took looked at make up artist Michelle Phan's Em line, which was two years in the making. Without a doubt, both beauty lines will see relative success with MJ's brand power and Sephora's distribution; and with Michelle Phan's knack for marketing to the masses and her fan base. I would encourage make up aficionado's to check out their stuff.

However, on the other hand.. I am the last person to rush to try every new make up product we are bombarded with. I love looking at what's new but I wont often wear it.  In fact, I've had to feign ignorance to avoid buying stuff that is shown to me. In reality, I know enough about make up that I am excessively picky and loyal to what I already use. That applies only to make up, though. (Skin care is a whole other story- I spend hours upon hours researching a product and once I find the holy-grail-of-the-moment, the longevity of my loyalty is countable in months, rather than years).

Coloured makeup breeds clutter, would you agree? Anytime I buy any eye shadows, lipsticks, or glosses they are almost identical to what I already have and I only use the new item once or twice.  If I were to pare down to my make up bare essentials & throw out the rest, this is what I would have left behind:


1) Shu Uemura eyelash curler - using the same one for 13 years

2) Elizabeth Arden Double Density Mascara - Since about 10 years ago... the only mascara that doesn't give me raccoon eyes.. and it's not waterproof. Go figure.

3) Nars Orgasm blush & Laguna Bronzer duo - using for 15 + years. I'm so boring :)

4) Dior "Lip Glow" balm - more of a recent friend, but it replaced a dozens of lipsticks and I stopped using gloss all together.

5) Kate Kanebo eye shadow trio - simple browns that do not crease.. that's all.

6) Cle De Peau concealer - hands down the best concealer ever in this whole wide world! That $90 goes a long ways...

7) Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Foundation - I was loyal to the GA Luminous Silk since 2005 and now I only use foundation for special occasions. I am a late bloomer to discover that letting your skin breathe has its benefits.

8) Bobbi Brown Mineral Foundation - a daily dusting to tone down the oily skin. This is probably the one item that I may experiment with a replacement.

9) Giorgio Armani eyeliner in #5 (Aubergine) - since 2005 as well

10) Chanel lip pencil in #34 - the best nude pencil IMO...

Boring as hell, but on the bright side: quality over quantity.. and my make up travel bag would be pretty light.



No comments:

Post a Comment